KALAMAZOO LADIES LIBRARY ASSOCIATION
The Ladies Library Association (LLA), founded in 1852, is the first women’s club in Michigan and the third in the Nation. Their current building, completed in 1879, is the first in the nation erected for the use of a women’s club. LLA strives for enriching others through education, literacy, philanthropy, and volunteerism, in addition to preserving the building and its contents, traditions, and National Historic Designation.
In order to meet current code requirements, approximately $2.1 million were invested in this bona fide historical, one of a kind facility through constructing a 3,000 square foot addition. The project included a new elevator, bathrooms, kitchen and storage, as well as renovations to the existing facility.
The project architect is Nelson Nave, AIA Architect.