FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The First United Methodist Church, a steadfast community of faith in downtown Kalamazoo since 1833, expanded and renovated to offer more effective missions and ministries. The $3.5 million project began April 2008. The 7,000 square foot addition includes classrooms, storage and a portico. Renovations included the kitchen, social hall, narthex and classrooms among other spaces.
The church did not relocate daycare, Sunday school and worship services, or other activities. Therefore, it was imperative that the daily operation of the church continue without interruption throughout construction. To preserve the aesthetic of the existing building the new addition was constructed out of the same materials, limestone and slate, as the original church. An unusually cold and wet winter also challenged the construction team and worked against the construction schedule.
To combat these challenges, the Miller-Davis team implemented flexible construction sequencing and staffing adapted to the Owner’s needs as well as the extreme weather conditions. Creative problem solving and enhanced on-site coordination was absolutely critical. In February, a heated exterior enclosure was constructed to allow installation of the limestone facade, which required on-site final detailing by hand. Temporary hydronic heating units were also installed throughout the new addition to maintain an air temperature of 50 degrees for material finishes. The project was completed June 2009.